THE DIRTY LAWYER REGISTRY’S VISION: “ADVOCACY FOR FAIRNESS”
DLR’s mission is to publicly hold accountable the lawyers and their self-protecting, self-governing body for acts and actions that are “above the law.”
Efforts by the DLR to promote FAIRNESS and EQUALITY for all citizens are in keeping with the belief that FAIRNESS and TRANSPARENCY are the main cornerstones of our HUMAN RIGHTS and the CONSTITUTION OF CANADA.
The Charter of Rights and Freedoms are further enriched by Court of Justice Landmark decisions such as the Justice J. Krever decision of Ontario which enabled the average citizen to make accountable any Dirty Lawyer before the courts.
Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to equal protection and equal benefit of the law without fear of discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.
The Vision of the DIRTY LAWYER REGISTRY (DLR) is based on the following principles and necessary changes to reform current practices of the Law Society:
- 1. The proclaimed Right to Equal Protection and Equal Benefit of the Courts.
- 2. The right to accessible competent legal representation.
- 3. The removal from “Member in good standing” status and immediate suspension of any lawyer who has been convicted of legal misconduct, which is not current practice by the LSUC.
- 4. The accessibility to the history of any/all complaints, disciplinary actions and/or criminal records of a lawyer “in good standing”, which is not current practice.
- 5. The adjudication of complaints about a lawyer by an appropriate official of the Attorney General’s office, instead of the Law Society.
- 6. The removal of any/all restrictions to investigating the affairs of the Law Society or the legal profession, such that the Attorney General for Ontario can act fully in all matters as the Guardian of the Public Interest, as stipulated by the Law Society Act 13.- (1).
- 7. The immediate and active intervention by the Attorney General’s office regarding ethics and/or integrity complaints about any lawyer or the legal profession.